Wednesday, October 14, 2009

#3-"Maddie...where are you?"

Oh how things are different this week. Tomorrow we go into our fifth day in the nursing home and I just can’t wait! Other the past week or so things have really turned around. I worked very hard to "kill em' with kindness" by keeping a smile on my face and an open heart. I'm defining moment last week was when the lady I had feed for the past few days yelled across the dining room, "Maddie...where are you?" One of my classmates pointed to me across the room and she continued with "Maddie...come over here" I waved and said hi but she said back "no that’s not what I asked...I asked you to come over here," all said in a very sweet and enduring way! She is a sassy, loud spoken, sweet 80+ year old woman who is about 4'10"! I have had the opportunity to sit with her during many meals and hear about her 18 kids (she really only has two) and how they don't come to see her because she doesn't let them out of the house. hahahaha. After lunch I wheel her back to her room and after I tell her to "hold on tight it is going to be a wild ride" she answers with "I’m ready!" I'm really looking forward to tomorrow and Friday at the home and am getting sad that next week is our last week. I look forward to walking down the hall and stopping every 10 steps to ask a resident how they are doing. Sometimes they answer with an "I’m doing fine" and other times I get to learn all about their life, children, congratulate them on turning 98 next week, and ask “what is the secret?”




As I get to learn more and see what kind of opportunities I am giving being in the nursing field I get more and more excited. I was not looking forward to this rotation but now I am so sad to be leaving. This makes me excited for the next rotations because I know I will enjoy them thoroughly even if it gets out to a rocky start!



Bring on the acute care...I'm ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment